The frustrations of language learning

/ dimanche 1 décembre 2013 /
It has been a year and a half since having moved to the Netherlands. I live in a small town on the west of this fair country; a quaint and for what seems 11 months of the year, quite a cold climate city that goes by the name of Delft. For the past year, I have had bouts of immersing myself in and out of the dutch culture.

On arriving, I joined a house with fifteen dutch girls from my university and lived there for six months. My plan was to stay in the country for six months on a cross cultural exchange from my home university in Sydney, Australia. However as I slowly got to know the people and culture, I felt my time passing quickly, and extended my exchange period to a full year.

I had joined my university's student rowing society and dedicated much of my free time to rowing training and competitions. Rowing is a large student sport within the netherlands and I learnt much of the dutch culture by participating in one of their national sports, and made most of my good friends here.

At the end of this year, I am not sure if it was the co-curricular activities, the new found love of my studies, or the thought of having to again uproot my life, but I attempted to transfer my course from Sydney to Delft. After numerous months of waiting and stressfully biting my nails, an acceptance letter came through, and I was admitted as a full time masters student at the University Technology, Delft.

By that time, I felt as though I knew much more of the culture. I'd found love at the rowing club, I'd moved in with new housemates that I could called my family, and I had even acquired a bike collection.

However, learning a language is one of the most difficult aspects of the Dutch culture that I am still yet to accomplish, and I feel that until I can communicate in dutch with my housemates, I will never completely understand the dutch culture or its people.

For the most part, we get on quite well, we eat dinner together each night, we share breakfast together, and we go on house outings. Most of this is done in dutch, and I am quite happy to sit and listen to my housemates, however after a year of listening, I feel that I am getting fed up with living in a country and only just-getting-by with the language.

For the next few months, I am going to try and improve my dutch, and I guess here (there is no place better than the prying eyes of the internet and those that don't know me) to vent about how the results go.

It is November, and therefore clearly the Christmas season... which means our house has had its first Kerstdiner.

Seasons greetings




0 Opinions:

Enregistrer un commentaire

The Inspiration Selection

Abduzeedo : Daily Inspiration.
Booooooom : Oh, yes. Art, photos, film and even a dash of music.
Core77 : The first ID site i ever was told about.
CG Textures : Get your textures here.
Deco Design : A french design blog ft. architecture, design and interiors.
Design Boom : An online magazine where new stuff Is.
Design Buzz : Find ideas and concepts right here.
Design is Kinky : Need i say more? (Graphics)
Design Sojourn : ID advice
The Drawing Arm : Illustration
Dribbble : Need a design/layout idea? Get one here.
Fast Company : How entrepreneurs are making it.
Fubiz : A french site dedicated to Architecture, design and all things love.
Inhabitat : Sustainable design is here.
Live Fast : Artsy Magazine online.
Lost Type : Free fonts.
New Scientist : Nerdy science, mainstream style.
The Noun Project : All about icons
Notcot : New design, fashion and food in small, quick pictures.
Public domain review: historical facts
TED : Thinking? TED will help.
Toxel : Innovative Designs, and more.
Whudat : A German blog showing various clips from videos, new design, and photography. Just plain brilliant.
Wilson Quarterly : Updating you on world ideas
Yanko Design : ID News
ZDNet : Nerdy Tech Stuff. AU based.

About Us

Red Rabbit and Company is an exploration of all things design by Kathryn Hing. This is inspiration.
 
Copyright © 2010 Red Rabbit & Kompany, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger